30 May 2023
09:30 AM - 03:00 PM
We Can All Be Mathematicians!
Developing Junior Maths Skills through a real-life, cross-curricular and problem-solving approach
This course will explore:
- Practical, fun and visual ways to teach maths concepts and skills in a real life, integrated approach for Year 0-2 children; to instill the idea that maths is all around us!
- what it means to be a mathematician
- links between maths and other curriculum areas
- building on and continuing to develop early foundation skills and addressing any ‘gaps’ you are noticing in your students
- discussing different maths approaches with our colleagues and having opportunities to collaborate about the way we might plan and organise maths during our week
- activities for developing problem solving skills
- the importance of developing early place value concepts
- setting up effective maths learning areas and ideas for storing, accessing and using equipment and resources
- how key competencies and our maths teaching are linked, particularly when it comes to self-management or taking risks
- sharing ideas for maths games, independent activities, websites and further readings