05 May / 23 Jun 2021
07:30 AM - 08:30 AM
Teacher Wellbeing: investing in self-care for a resilient future
Package includes 4 x 60 min online sessions Wednesdays (7.30-8.30am) 5 May/ 19 May/ 9 June/ 7 July
Teaching has never been an easy job and schools are not always oases of calm. In the current situation in which we find ourselves, there are many additional pressures and stressors we face as we strive to do our best for our students, as we support our colleagues and the wider community. But who cares about your wellbeing? Who is looking out for you when you are feeling overwhelmed and under pressure? It’s time for you to focus on your self-care and invest in your wellbeing.
Research demonstrates that a focus on wellbeing fosters greater focus, compassion, and attention and helps decrease depression, anxiety, severity of pain symptoms, and teacher burnout. Mindfulness can improve psychological well-being and both mental and physical health allowing us to be more present for our lives both in and out of the classroom.
About this course:
This series of professional learning workshops and webinars are designed for educators who are interested in discovering more about their minds, emotions and thoughts and want to learn strategies to improve their overall wellbeing. The central objective of this course is to introduce the science of mindfulness, the study of positive psychology, strategies, and mindful practices that will help promote positive states of mind such as gratitude, optimism and resilience.
Each session would prioritise dialogue, mindfulness practices, and discussion on bringing mindfulness into our everyday lives.
Webinar 1 – A User’s Guide to the human brain, the mind and how to find focus, calm and balance
- A Super Short History of Secular Mindfulness and what it offers us
- The Brain, Emotional Hijacking and Self-Regulation
- The Mindful Breath & Practice
- Benefits of a mindful practice
- Using our senses to be present and feel grounded
- Radio Transmitter Practice
- Mindful Movement Practice
Webinar 2 – Riding the Emotional Rollercoaster
- Surviving stress and anxiety
- Strategies to manage stress and find optimism and gratitude
- Valuing Distraction and learning to center
- Body Scan Practice
Webinar 3 – Choosing Optimism and Happiness in order to flourish
- Positive psychology and the potential when choosing our attitudes
- The Happiness Advantage
- Using Mirror Neurons to Self-Regulate your emotions
- Savouring happiness
Webinar 4 – Gratitude, compassion and care for yourself and others
- The power of sharing gratitude and acts of kindness
- Towards a compassionate community
- Self-care, thrive and flourish
- Putting it into practice